Choose Fair Trade this year and make sure that your Valentine's Day is sweet - all the way through!
Fair Trade products support worker cooperatives that are committed to fair labor practices and environmental sustainability. Jewelry, apparel, personal care items, and much more is available from Fair Trade committed purveyors like Ten Thousand Villages or Mayan Hands. Fair Trade chocolate is delicious, available in conventional stores and online, and most importantly, Fair Trade chocolate keeps kids out of cocoa fields, and in schools! Conventional cocoa is often sourced from plantations that offer low prices at the expense of child laborers who are forced to work long hours in harsh conditions.
There are plenty of ways to Fair Trade your Valentines this year! Get creative, or check out our suggestions below.
- Download and print some of the Valentine's cards and inserts from our partners at Global Exchange:
- Shop online for Fair Trade chocolate at Equal Exchange
- Download Green America's "Chocolate Scorecard" by clicking here.
- Looking for flowers? Ask your local florist about their Fair Trade options
- Shop for Fair Trade gifts from committed partners like Ten Thousand Villages or Mayan Hands
- Use Fair Trade Curriculum in your classroom, youth group, or after school program
- Encourage your school, congregation, club, or organization to learn more about Fair Trade Fundraising Alternatives
- Organize a screening of the compelling documentary, The Dark Side of Chocolate
- Learn more about Ethical Purchasing, browse our General Resources Page